Subject: bug#37631: service zabbix-server (and zabbix-agent) fails starting (cannot run as root!)

From: Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2019 14:49:58 +0200

Giovanni Biscuolo <[email-masked]> writes:

> executive summary: do we really need to start zabbix_server in
> foreground mode?

executive answer: I don't know **but** this is not the cause of my issue
:)

> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---

[...]

>            (service zabbix-server-service-type
> 		    (zabbix-server-configuration
> 		     (include-files '("/root/secrets/zabbix-server-dbpass"))
> 		     (log-type "file")))

ouch!... looking at the console (it's a remote VM so I usually connect
via ssh only, but today I also connected via SPICE):

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
zabbix_server [1942]: /root/secrets/zabbix-server-dbpass: [13] Permission denied
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

unfortunately shepherd did not catch this error (due to foreground
mode?) in syslog :-(

I just had to adjust the permissions to allow zabbix (I allowed the
zabbix group to traverse /root/secrets and read the file) to read the
included file

this now works with both zabbix 4.2.0 and zabbix 4.2.7

[...]

Thanks! Gio'

-- 
Giovanni Biscuolo

Xelera IT Infrastructures