Subject: Re: bug#37630: 27.0.50; image-mode-fit-frame doesn't

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2022 18:30:55 +0100

martin rudalics <[email-masked]> writes:

> A silly one.  For historical reason, 'set-frame-height' expects a "text
> height" as argument.  'frame-pixel-height' OTOH returns the "native
> height" of the frame.  How these relate is explained in sections 30.3.1
> and 30.3.4 of the Elisp Manual.  The idempotent operation you have in
> mind is probably
>
> (set-frame-height nil (frame-text-height) nil t)
>
> although with a GTK build you usually won't notice the difference.

Ah, right.

I've poked at the image-mode-fit-frame code some more to see whether we
could use frame-text-height directly without any further changes, but
that makes the frame too short.  So there's something not adding up in
the computations it does, but it's not clear what, exactly.

Perhaps somebody else should take a peek at it...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no