Subject: bug#37630: 27.0.50; image-mode-fit-frame doesn't

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 05 Oct 2019 12:10:20 +0300

To reproduce:

  emacs -Q
  C-x C-f etc/images/splash.svg
  M-x image-mode-fit-frame RET

The last command is documented to "fit FRAME to the current image",
but it doesn't: the result shows the image only partially.

  M-x image-mode-fit-frame RET

This should return the frame to its original dimensions, but again
doesn't.

It seems like the command does its documented job only if the frame
has no tool bar and no menu bar.  IOW, if you invoke Emacs as in
"emacs -Q -D", the above recipe produces the expected results.  This
could be a documentation bug: perhaps this command was not supposed to
work in frames with tool bar and menu bar.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1459, i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2019-10-05 built on HOME-C4E4A596F7
Repository revision: bbfa9995ff3bdb8a00fe3082bc3249cc1e68e1ab
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
System Description: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3 (v5.1.0.2600)

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Scanning for dabbrevs...done
user-error: No dynamic expansion for ‘image-mode-fit’ found

Configured using:
 'configure -C --prefix=/d/usr --with-wide-int --with-modules
 --enable-checking=yes,glyphs 'CFLAGS=-O0 -gdwarf-4 -g3''

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND NOTIFY W32NOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2
HARFBUZZ ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ENU
  locale-coding-system: cp1255

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr dabbrev emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache
epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
disp-table term/w32-win w32-win w32-vars term/common-win tool-bar dnd
fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page tab-bar menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads w32notify w32
lcms2 multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 51337 9062)
 (symbols 48 7208 1)
 (strings 16 18894 2211)
 (string-bytes 1 535283)
 (vectors 16 9936)
 (vector-slots 8 130131 10194)
 (floats 8 23 23)
 (intervals 40 258 10)
 (buffers 888 11))