Subject: Re: [bug#37589] [PATCH] gnu: Add xfce-goodies

From: Tobias Geerinckx-Rice <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2019 15:48:02 +0200

Ingo,

Wow, thank you!  Just a quick addition to Danny's notes (more 
nitpicks! yay):

Ingo Ruhnke 写道：
> "http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/" name "/"

Please just use

   "http://archive.xfce.org/src/panel-plugins/xfce4-cpugraph-plugin/"

here and elsewhere.  Using NAME here doesn't actually add any 
value (VERSION does).

> +It is based on the GNOME applet of the same name and was
> +ported to XFCE starting with v1.03.

I'm always interested in computing history, but don't think this 
kind of trivia is useful in package descriptions.  The whole 
sentence can be dropped as far as I'm concerned.

> +    (home-page 
> "https://goodies.xfce.org/projects/panel-plugins/xfce4-calculator-plugin")
> +    (synopsis "A calculator for the Xfce panel")
> +    (description "xfce4-calculator-plugin is a calculator 
> plugin for the Xfce4 panel.")

Please wrap lines to <= 80 characters.  ‘guix lint’ should warn 
about this.  A newline after home-page, for example, suffices.

> +http://www.google.it/search?q= if you want to perform a search 
> on

Please use ’@uref{http://bugs.foo.org, the Foo bug tracker}’ 
mark-up for all URLs.  It allows giving more descriptive labels 
like ‘@uref{https://met.no, the Norwegian Meteorological 
Institute}’ and should render as clickable hyperlinks where 
supported.

> +Google or http://bugs.debian.org if something is wrong with 
> your

I'm not comfortable promoting Google in our repository like this. 
I don't know if we can all agree on a benign centralised search 
engine instead, though.

> system (assuming your distribution is Debian).")

Could we assume your distribution is Guix instead?  :-)  We have 
https://issues.guix.gnu.org/search?query=….

> +values provided by the hw.diskstats sysctl (see iostat for 
> details).")
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^
Could you add a noun here?  (‘the iostat(n) manpage’, or ‘the 
iostat package’, …)

Neither ‘guix show iostat’ nor ‘man iostat’ (on GNU/Linux) return 
anything, so I guess this is something NetBSD-specific.  Which is 
fine.  Guix should some day run there, too.

> interact with user

‘interact with the user’.

> progressbar

‘progress bar’.

Kind regards,

T G-R