Subject: 27.0.50; GNU Emacs / eww inconsistent in showing images

From: Adam Sjøgren <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Oct 2019 22:29:13 +0200

GNU Emacs seems to be inconsistent when showing images fetched via
http(s). Here is an example:

M-x eww

Paste in a URL of a webpage with many pictures, eg
https://moving-pictures.ingebrigtsen.no/2019/10/01/songs-from-the-second-floor-2/

Expected result is all images (eventually) load. Instead I see gray
boxes where the images should appear. This even after waiting 10
minutes. In Firefox I can get all images in seconds.

Here is what my Emacs window looks like:

It seems that the fewer images there are, the more likely they are to
appear. But it is very inconsistent, in my experience.

I don't expect Emacs to be optimized to fetch a lot of images
efficiently in the way, say, a dedicated web browser might be, but not
showing all images eventually, is suboptimimal.

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.11)
 of 2019-09-21 built on tullinup
Repository revision: fea4a73300aa1da0a80548081874ced0c8df00f3
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12000000
System Description: Debian GNU/Linux bullseye/sid

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Contacting host: moving-pictures.ingebrigtsen.no:443
Quit
Configured using:
 'configure --without-pop'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
ACL LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS LIBSYSTEMD PDUMPER LCMS2
GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: eww

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message dired dired-loaddefs
rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail cl-extra help-mode
gnutls network-stream url-http mail-parse rfc2231 url-gw nsm rmc
url-cache url-auth eww easymenu mm-url gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail
rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums time-date mail-utils wid-edit
mm-util mail-prsvr thingatpt url-queue url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs
password-cache json subr-x map url-vars mailcap shr text-property-search
puny svg xml seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv dom browse-url
format-spec cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 114744 5561)
 (symbols 48 9806 1)
 (strings 32 41653 2181)
 (string-bytes 1 3091594)
 (vectors 16 15376)
 (vector-slots 8 195918 11516)
 (floats 8 81 719)
 (intervals 56 1009 0)
 (buffers 992 13))

-- 
 "And all you can talk about is money and fairytales          Adam Sjøgren
  of eternal economic growth. How dare you!"             [email-masked]