Subject: Re: bug#37577: 27.0.50; GNU Emacs / eww inconsistent in showing images

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 04:30:43 +0200

Adam Sjøgren <[email-masked]> writes:

> Paste in a URL of a webpage with many pictures, eg
> https://moving-pictures.ingebrigtsen.no/2019/10/01/songs-from-the-second-floor-2/
>
> Expected result is all images (eventually) load. Instead I see gray
> boxes where the images should appear. This even after waiting 10
> minutes. In Firefox I can get all images in seconds.

shr (via url-queue) uses a very primitive timeout mechanism for
image-loading, and it aborts a lot of downloads prematurely.  And as you
say, the more images it's downloading in parallel, the more likely it is
that it drops the image.

This will work a lot better once the with-fetched-url branch has been
merged into Emacs, but that won't happen until Emacs 28, which is
probably still weeks away.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no