Subject: bug#37562: 26.2; Obsolete vt-control and vt100-led

From: Po Lu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2022 09:09:23 +0800

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Nicolas Semrau <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Five years ago, Stefan Monnier asked if vt100-led.el and vt-control.el
>> could be obsoleted.[1] Since there was no objection at the time (and
>> the hardware certainly not gaining in popularity since then), I propose
>> to go through with declaring /lisp/vt-control.el and /lisp/vt100-led.el
>> obsolete.
>>
>> [1] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2014-05/msg00169.html
>
> (I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately weren't resolved
> at the time.)
>
> I've now moved them to lisp/obsolete in Emacs 29.  If it turns out that
> they're useful (i.e., we get complaints from people using term/vtXXX),
> then we'll reconsider, but it seems unlikely.

Some people use niche terminal emulators that have various graphical
effects aimed at resembling those old terminals, and that includes the
LEDs.

I don't know if they use the same control sequences as the real vt100,
but it's plausible.