Subject: bug#37562: 26.2; Obsolete vt-control and vt100-led

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2019 01:02:35 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> > > Aren't they useful with lisp/term/vtXXX.el, which we didn't yet
> > > obsolete?
> >
> > Is there any reason not to obsolete lisp/term/vtXXX.el as well?
>
> I think they are still being used, albeit rarely, with emulators of
> those old terminals.

Would it make sense to mark them as obsolete and if anyone complains
to create a new ELPA package for them instead?  We could even say in
NEWS that, in case anyone is still using this, we would appreciate it
if they reported back to emacs-devel or somesuch.  (I think I've seen
that being done once before, so there is some precedent.)

My objective in writing this is to figure out a way forward for the
original request/suggestion, but I don't feel very strongly about it.
However, if we can't find a reasonable way to do this, or if we don't
want to, I think we're better off closing this as wontfix.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas