Subject: bug#37560: bug on make of libtool 2.4.6 project

From: Bob Friesenhahn <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 09:45:46 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 30 Sep 2019, LE CONNIAT, Thierry via Bug-libtool via Bug reports for the GNU libtool shared library maintenance tool wrote:

> I an using Ubuntu for windows  and i try to compile libtool  2.4.6.
>
> I do the bootstrap , and configure (log are joined in files)  operations
>
> I note during bootstrap some things anormal or not ?
>
> bootstrap: running: git submodule init -- gnulib
> fatal: not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

It looks to me like the bootstrap script expects that the libtool 
directory is based on a git clone.  Did you get it from a release 
tarball or via a git clone?  If you did get it from a release tarball, 
why do you want to run bootstrap.

>              Is it  normal to use libtool to build libtool ?

Libldtl is a library.  It is not libtool (a shell script).  First the 
libtool script is generated, and then libltdl is built using it.

>              I try to investigate many files like config.h which 
> contains some binaries caracters !!!!  normal or not ?  if not 
> perhaps i have a file system error !

I have no experience with "Ubuntu for windows" but perhaps Windows 
Linux system call emulation is not a perfect emulation?  Or perhaps 
your directories/folders need to be prepared in a particular way?

Bob
-- 
Bob Friesenhahn
[email-masked], http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/
GraphicsMagick Maintainer,    http://www.GraphicsMagick.org/
Public Key,     http://www.simplesystems.org/users/bfriesen/public-key.txt