Subject: Re: bug#37556: gpg "-unknown" version string

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2019 16:42:29 +0200

Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]> writes:

> Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>>> If this is somehow related to gpg, maybe we should chop that before
>>> we invoke the version-comparison functions, in gpg-related Lisp files
>>> only?
>>
>> Chopping would mean that 2.2.17 and 2.2.17-unknown are equal, but currently
>> 2.2.17-unknown (in epg) is less than 2.2.17.
>
> I don't understand why making -unknown equivalent to a lesser version
> makes sense.  Shouldn't 2.2.17 and 2.2.17-unknown in fact be equal?

Should they?  2.2.17-pre and 2.2.17-alpha should be less than 2.2.17,
but how do we know that -unknown isn't something -alpha-ish?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no