Subject: Re: bug#37540: [PATCH] Wishlist: Allow edebug-specs to signal arbitrary error strings on syntax errors in macros.

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2020 20:57:03 +0000

Hello, Stefan.

On Thu, Jan 16, 2020 at 15:47:44 +0100, Stefan Kangas wrote:
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> >> Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2019 12:30:34 +0000
> >> From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>

> >> The following patch implements an &error mechanism in edebug.el, and
> >> illustrates its use in the case which motivated it.

> >> Any objections to committing this patch (together with the needed
> >> amendments to documentation and NEWS)?

> > Please wait with such changes until the emacs-27 branch is cut (which
> > should happen soon, I hope).  I don't want to risk destabilizing Emacs
> > 27 with potentially risky low-level changes, more than it already is.

> Now that the emacs-27 branch is cut, perhaps it is time to look into
> this again?

Indeed, I posted a post on this bug just on Tuesday.  It has not yet
attracted much feedback.  I suppose it is a particularly arcane topic,
but such an &error feature would enable me to tidy up the edebug-spec for
backquote properly.

> Best regards,
> Stefan Kangas

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).