Subject: 27.0.50; double-recording of keys with input-methods and keyboard-macros

From: Christoph Arenz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2019 21:03:14 +0200

There are still some cases where keyboard macros do not record correctly
for some input-methods, leading to double-recording of keys.

I tried some simple tests using the french word for brother (`frère' --
the first `e' is with a ``' on top of it -- hopefully my mailer does not
screw this up...)
using various french input methods: french-prefix, french-postfix and
french-azerty -- all in context of keyboard macro recording and playback.
Here are the results:

french-prefix:
keys pressed: <f3> f r ` e r e , <spc> <f4> <f4> <f4>
text inserted in buffer: "frère, frère,  frère,  "
last-kbd-macro: "fr`ere,  "
--> Note the two(!) <spc> recorded after the `,' though only one was
typed in!

french-postfix:
keys pressed: <f3> f r e ` r e , <spc> <f4> <f4> <f4>
text inserted in buffer: "frère, frèrre,, frèrre,, "
last-kbd-macro: "fre`rre,, "
--> Note the double recording of `r' and `,' !

french-azerty:
keys pressed (on US keyboard-layout): <f3> f r e 7 r e m <spc> <f4> <f4>
<f4>
text inserted in buffer: "frère, frère, frère, "
last-kbd-macro: "fr7rem "
--> This looks as I would expect it.

A quick check on emacs-24.5.1 on Ubuntu showed that all cases were
handled correctly back then.
N.B. For what it's worth, I am physically using a german keyboard with a
US layout in GNOME.
Probably this should not matter and be equivalent to a US keyboard...

Thanks for your attention,
Christoph

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.22.30)
  of 2019-09-26 built on [...]
Repository revision: 07367e5b95fe31f3d4e994b42b081075501b9b60
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12004000
System Description: Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation 7.7 (Maipo)

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY
LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS
GTK3 X11 XDBE XIM THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   bug-reference-prog-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   tool-bar-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny format-spec rfc822 mml
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse auth-source eieio eieio-core
eieio-loaddefs json map url-vars mm-view mml-smime smime dig mailcap
mml-sec password-cache epa wid-edit epg epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util rmail dframe
rmail-loaddefs text-property-search gmm-utils mailheader sendmail
rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils cl-extra
dabbrev cl-print cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs calc-aent calc-bin
calc-comb calc-fin calc-forms calc-frac calc-funcs calc-map calc-mtx
calc-prog calc-rewr calc-stat calc-store calc-stuff calc-units calc-vec
calcalg2 calcalg3 calc-embed calc-graph calc-help calc-incom calc-keypd
calc-lang calc-mode calc-rules calc-sel calc-yank calcsel2 help-fns
radix-tree shell pcomplete grep compile files-x rx comint ansi-color
ring edebug backtrace help-mode find-func misearch multi-isearch vc-git
diff-mode vc-dir seq byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv ewoc vc
vc-dispatcher bug-reference time-date calc-undo calc-misc calc-cplx
calc-arith calc-math calc-alg calc-ext calc-menu easymenu calc derived
calc-loaddefs calc-macs dired desktop frameset cl-seq edmacro kmacro
dired-loaddefs subr-x easy-mmode cl-macs inline cl-loaddefs cl-lib gv
pcase tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 744416 52997)
  (symbols 48 20376 0)
  (strings 32 47464 2322)
  (string-bytes 1 1585017)
  (vectors 16 8912)
  (vector-slots 8 490052 112244)
  (floats 8 52 188)
  (intervals 56 2755 421)
  (buffers 992 22)
  (heap 1024 32533 1276))