Subject: bug#375: closed (Re: bug#375: forward-word cmd finds beginning of next word)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 22 Feb 2012 02:25:02 +0000

Your bug report

#375: forward-word cmd finds beginning of next word

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
375: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=375
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#375: forward-word cmd finds beginning of next word
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:22:21 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Thanks for the report, but as was explained this won't be changed.

>From [email-masked] Sat Jun  7 07:40:24 2008
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:40:12 +0100
From: "Gunnar P. Vestergaard" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: forward-word cmd finds beginning of next word

I have a feature request for GNU Emacs: In Emacs, when using the command 
forward-word, with the keyboard shortcut M-F, I understand that Emacs 
places point just after the end of the current word, pointing at the 
beginning of a non-letter sequence. And the command backward-word, with 
the keyboard shortcut M-B, places point at the beginning of the current 
word, or if it is already at the beginning of a word, it places point at 
the beginning of the previous word.

I would like if those two commands, forward-word and backward-word, had 
identical results, i.e. so that the command forward-word would instead 
place point at the beginning of the next word, just as the command 
backward-word places the point at the beginning of a word.

Has this issue ever been discussed?

In Microsoft Windows, when you edit a text and you move forward one word 
with Ctrl-ArrowRight, the cursor is placed at the beginning of a word. 
It makes more sense, I think. Not that MS Windows is a great operating 
system. It sucks, actually.

I am not subscribed to the bug-gnu-emacs mailing list, so would someone 
send a reply to my e-mail address?

Gunnar Vestergaard
Torshavn, Faroe Islands