Subject: bug#375: forward-word cmd finds beginning of next word

From: "Gunnar P. Vestergaard" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2008 15:40:12 +0100

I have a feature request for GNU Emacs: In Emacs, when using the command 
forward-word, with the keyboard shortcut M-F, I understand that Emacs 
places point just after the end of the current word, pointing at the 
beginning of a non-letter sequence. And the command backward-word, with 
the keyboard shortcut M-B, places point at the beginning of the current 
word, or if it is already at the beginning of a word, it places point at 
the beginning of the previous word.

I would like if those two commands, forward-word and backward-word, had 
identical results, i.e. so that the command forward-word would instead 
place point at the beginning of the next word, just as the command 
backward-word places the point at the beginning of a word.

Has this issue ever been discussed?

In Microsoft Windows, when you edit a text and you move forward one word 
with Ctrl-ArrowRight, the cursor is placed at the beginning of a word. 
It makes more sense, I think. Not that MS Windows is a great operating 
system. It sucks, actually.

I am not subscribed to the bug-gnu-emacs mailing list, so would someone 
send a reply to my e-mail address?

Gunnar Vestergaard
Torshavn, Faroe Islands