Subject: Re: bug#37485: 27.0.50; C-m in describe-bindings

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 19:58:15 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> Key description and fast typing are two separate issues.  Mnemonics is
> yet another, third, issue (and assigning mnemonic value to 'm' in C-m
> is generally unusual, IME).  I don't think these additional issues
> should affect how we display C-m/RET _everywhere_ in our docs.  E.g.,
> would you propose to use C-i instead of TAB?

Hm...  I think so?  (There's 67 `C-. C-i' in the manual.)

Mind you, I'm only talking about multi-key keystrokes if we were to do
this by default.

But what I really had in mind was to find out whether anybody had any
smart ideas for how to convey to `describe-bindings' how these keys
should be displayed on a per-keymap basis.  I hadn't taken a look at how
keymaps are defined at all...

But they are really char-table objects wrapped in a list?

Would it be possible to add an option to `make-keymap' that would pass
along an argument to control what `describe-bindings' should do with the
keymap?  And then stash that in the char-table object?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no