Subject: Re: bug#37485: 27.0.50; C-m in describe-bindings

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 20:50:11 +0300

> From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 19:33:57 +0200
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Anyway, what's the real problem here?  Just the fact that you
> > personally are annoyed?
> 
> The problem is that these key bindings, as formatted by describe-keys,
> aren't what was intended.  We don't choose key bindings on a whime. `C-c
> C-m' for instance (in Message mode), has the "m" as a mnemonic for
> "MIME".  `C-c RET' doesn't mean anything.

Key description and fast typing are two separate issues.  Mnemonics is
yet another, third, issue (and assigning mnemonic value to 'm' in C-m
is generally unusual, IME).  I don't think these additional issues
should affect how we display C-m/RET _everywhere_ in our docs.  E.g.,
would you propose to use C-i instead of TAB?