Subject: bug#37485: 27.0.50; C-m in describe-bindings

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Sep 2019 19:07:44 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I'm not sure I understand...
>
> I meant that users usually press RET, not C-m.

You've done a poll?  :-)

>> Both RET and C-m are keys we press, but the intended (both mnemonic and
>> ergonomic) key stroke here is `C-c C-m c' (etc) and not the awkward `C-c
>> RET c'.
>
> Call me awkward, then.

But do you use RET instead of `C-m' in these keystrokes because that's
what `describe-bindings' say or because you prefer to hit `RET'?

Anyway, I've grepped through the *.texi files, and there are 152 matches
for `C-c C-m ...' and 8 for `C-c RET'.  And all of those 8 are for RET
as the final character in the keystroke.

If you expand to "C-. C-m"/"C-. RET" it's 170/20.  (All those additional
ones are from mule.texi.)

It seems the mode writers' intentions are pretty clear: They mean for
the users to type C-c C-m ..., but `describe-bindings' tells them to type
C-c RET.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no