Subject: bug#37473: 27.0.50; antialias setting is not preserved by, inheriting

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2022 00:47:39 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> First, why is :antialiasing being singled out? won't the same happen
> for any attribute in FONT_EXTRA_INDEX, like :hinting, :hintstyle, and
> whatnot?

Yes, that's a bug -- there's all kinds of extra stuff, and :antialiasing
isn't special.

> And in addition, why does it make sense to reset foundry, family,
> registry, and adstyle of the font in attrs[]? don't we want the same
> font, for example, when resizing the text?
>
> IOW, do we really understand the reason for bug#37473?  Not the commit
> which introduced it, but the reason why :antialiasing is being reset
> and doesn't appear in attrs[] and in the realized face?  If so, could
> someone please spell that out?

bug#17973 was fixed by disregarding the font spec completely so that
font_load_for_lface would be free to recompute those bits:

> The patch below expresses the first part, but it looks like the second
> part doesn't exit: Emacs just doesn't find any font to use for the "thin
> space" of C-x SPC and indicates it to me with one of those big squares
> that say "0020", which is a lot more intrusive than the problem I'm
> trying to fix.

But that gets rid of all the data, which is what I attempted to fix.  I
think a better fix would just be to start with a blank spec and copy
:extra -- but I wasn't able to make that work.  That is, I needed to
copy more, but I wasn't able to determine what.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no