Subject: bug#37473: 27.0.50; antialias setting is not preserved by inheriting

From: YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2019 13:19:53 +0900

Steps to Reproduce:

1. % emacs -Q -fn monospace:antialias=0 &

   As expected, the normal text in the *scratch* buffer is not
   antialiased.  But the bold text in the mode line is unexpectedly
   antialiased.

2. C-x C-+

   Observe that the scaled text in the *scratch* buffer is
   unexpectedly antialiased.

I found that it used to work (i.e., antialias setting was preserved in
bold or scaled text) before the following change:

commit bf0d3f76dcfe7881cb3058169b51cf6602fdcdcb (HEAD)
Author: Kenichi Handa <[email-masked]>
Date:   Sun Jul 20 00:18:23 2014 +0900

    2014-07-19  Kenichi Handa  <[email-masked]>
    
            * xfaces.c (realize_x_face): Call font_load_for_lface with no
            mandatory font spec (Bug#17973).
    
    2014-07-19  Stefan Monnier  <[email-masked]>
    
            * font.c (font_score): Return the worst score if the size of
            ENTITY is wrong by more than a factor 2 (Bug#17973).

				     YAMAMOTO Mitsuharu
				[email-masked]

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-apple-darwin16.7.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2019-09-21 built on YAMAMOTO-no-iMac-5K.local
Repository revision: 87b7c069583ddccae89791b2389bd872a49bc1b0
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11804000
System Description:  Mac OS X 10.12.6

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Configured using:
 'configure --without-ns --with-jpeg=no --with-gif=no --with-tiff=no
 --with-gnutls=no PKG_CONFIG=/opt/local/bin/pkg-config
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/X11/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig
 PKG_CONFIG_LIBDIR= CFLAGS=-g'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM PNG NOTIFY KQUEUE ACL LIBXML2 FREETYPE M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT
ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM THREADS PDUMPER

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: ja_JP.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired dired-loaddefs
format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search time-date
subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies
mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs
cl-lib sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
japan-util tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads kqueue
dynamic-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 46279 5949)
 (symbols 48 5916 1)
 (strings 32 16004 1573)
 (string-bytes 1 507230)
 (vectors 16 9815)
 (vector-slots 8 200586 9608)
 (floats 8 19 39)
 (intervals 56 216 0)
 (buffers 992 11))