Subject: bug#3746: M-r in comint mode should use isearch

From: Dan Nicolaescu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 2009 18:21:48 -0700 (PDT)

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

  > > The problem with that is that C-s (and C-r) already have bindings in
  > > comint modes, and changing them would not be liked by most users.
  > > Doing M-r and then C-s/C-r seems a bit cumbersome.
  > > IMHO just using M-r for incremental history search will provide no
  > > surprises for the user, and it seems like a natural extension of the
  > > current behavior.
  > 
  > Currently M-r typed in the shell buffer activates the minibuffer with
  > the prompt "Previous input matching (regexp): ".  I doubt that users
  > will like to see Isearch activated instead of this minibuffer.

Why not?  It does provide the same functionality and it seems easier to
use.  Maybe the prompt would need to be adjusted, but, IMHO, it's
doubtful the users would be unpleasantly surprised by the behavior...

  > But maybe we should try using M-s that is less useful in the
  > shell buffer.
  > 
  > -- 
  > Juri Linkov
  > http://www.jurta.org/emacs/