Subject: EPA (The EasyPG Assistant) problems saving .tar.gpg files

From: Andrea Cardaci <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 01:31:34 +0200

As the subject says. Here is how to reproduce this;

1. start Emacs with `emacs -Q`;

2. find a new file, e.g., `C-x C-f /tmp/test.tar.gpg`;

3. the buffer is in `tar-mode`, create an empty file with `I`;

4. save the Tar buffer `C-x C-s`;

5. the `*Keys*` buffer pops up, mark one key and press the "OK" button.

Now a message says "Wrote /tmp/test.tar.gpg" but the `*Keys*` buffer
is still there (that doesn't happen for regular .gpg files) and a
recursive edit is in progress (there are square brackets around the
major modes).

This is already weird per se, but most importantly the saved file is
just a text file containing the textual content of the Tar buffer:

    $ gpg -d test.tar.gpg
     -rw-r--r--       0/0             0 test

Since the `*Keys*` buffer is still there, trying to mark the key and
pressing the "OK" button again causes the file to be saved again and
exits from the recursive editing, the file has the same content yet
different permissions:

    -rw-r--r-- 1 cyrus cyrus    613 Sep 19 01:19 test.tar.gpg

instead of the previous (and correct):

    -rw------- 1 cyrus cyrus    613 Sep 19 01:14 test.tar.gpg

My Emacs version is the following:

    GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.4)
of 2019-02-03, modified by Debian

I'm afraid I cannot try a newer version right now. Please let me know
if you need additional information.

Best,
Andrea