Subject: 26.3; Commands on <delete> and <backspace>

From: Sebastian Urban <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 13:45:57 +0200

Just a few thoughts about deleting and killing commands.

We have:
+ "Delete"
   - <deletechar> [<delete>] (delete-forward-char)
   - <C-delete> (kill-word)
   - M-DEL [<M-delete>] (backward-kill-word)

? Perhaps C-<delete> should do (backward-kill-word) and <M-delete>
   should (kill-word).  Then <M-delete> would be like 'M-d', which
   seems to be correct way.

+ "Backspace"
   - DEL [<backspace>] (delete-backward-char)
   - <C-backspace> (backward-kill-word)
   - M-DEL [M-<backspace>] (backward-kill-word)

? <C-backspace> as another (backward-kill-word) on the same button is
   useless(?), maybe change it to (backward-kill-sentence), because
   it's less typing than 'C-x DEL'?  And then (perhaps) assign 'C-x
   DEL' to new function "backward kill line" (kill-line with 0
   argument?).  OR let 'C-x DEL' backward kill sentence, and assign
   backward kill line to 'C-DEL'.

? Also perhaps rebind 'C-S-backspace' to 'C-M-backspace' for
   (kill-whole-line)?

S. U.

GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-w64-mingw32) of 2019-08-29