Subject: 27.0.50; Permission denied after make install

From: Tino Calancha <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 09:02:25 +0000 (UTC)

X-Debbugs-Cc: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>

I get a permission denied error
after commit 9dc306b1db08196684d05a474148e16305adbad0

The following steps reproduce the error (you need 2 users to test it)

# Install Emacs w/ the first user
$ whoami
ec2-user
$ cd ~/soft/emacs-master
$ make && sudo make install
# Launch Emasc w/ the second user
$ su user_foo
$ cd
$ emacs
emacs: Reading symbolic link: Permission denied, /home/ec2-user/soft

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 8, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu)
  of 2019-09-18 built
Repository revision: 9dc306b1db08196684d05a474148e16305adbad0
Repository branch: master
System Description: Amazon Linux 2

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-? C-a.
C-x C-g is undefined
Omitting...
(Nothing to omit)
Omitting...
Omitted 2 lines.
Collecting branch info...done
Pull from remote repository 'origin'? (y or n) y
Collecting branch info...done
git pull origin done!

Configured using:
  'configure --with-libxml2'

Configured features:
SOUND NOTIFY INOTIFY LIBSELINUX GNUTLS LIBXML2 ZLIB THREADS PDUMPER GMP

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Gited

Minor modes in effect:
   shell-dirtrack-mode: t
   display-time-mode: t
   winner-mode: t
   simpleclip-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
   gited-hide-details-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   global-eldoc-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug shell mule-util cl-extra term/xterm
xterm server manoj-dark-theme time smtpmail sendmail bookmark+
bookmark+-key bookmark+-1 gnus-sum url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util mailcap shr image
svg dom gnus-group gnus-undo gnus-start gnus-cloud nnimap nnmail
mail-source utf7 netrc nnoo parse-time iso8601 gnus-spec gnus-int
gnus-range message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win bookmark+-bmu org-element avl-tree
generator help-mode org advice org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete
pcomplete org-list org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version
ob-emacs-lisp ob ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp
ob-comint ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs format-spec
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs bookmark+-lit bookmark+-mac bookmark pp
misc emacs-lock winner xml git-handlers pcase ibuf-macs dired-x
dired-aux usl rect ibuffer ibuffer-loaddefs thingatpt simpleclip edmacro
kmacro cl paren mb-depth grep compile comint regexp-opt ansi-color ring
gnus nnheader gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
text-property-search time-date mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr wid-edit
cus-start cus-load gited find-func vc-git diff-mode easy-mmode dired
dired-loaddefs gited-ci finder-inf info tool-bar package easymenu
browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source cl-seq eieio eieio-core
cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json subr-x map url-vars seq
byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc
electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type tabulated-list
replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads inotify
multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 290467 26391)
  (symbols 48 24391 2)
  (strings 32 75778 2373)
  (string-bytes 1 2664995)
  (vectors 16 29579)
  (vector-slots 8 317353 13828)
  (floats 8 235 339)
  (intervals 56 616 91)
  (buffers 992 15))