Subject: Re: bug#37445: 27.0.50; Permission denied after make install

From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 12:33:20 -0700

On 9/20/19 11:59 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> If we want to make such
> changes, we should do that in a way that caters to all the use cases
> we support today.

Of course. Among other things we should continue to let people access the 
sources where they were originally built, if that's what they want to do. But 
the default installation should be a safe one.

If it is considered to be too much to install the C source files by default, we 
can simply make that an installation option with default off; that will still be 
safe, since find-function-C-source-directory will do the right thing when the 
source files are not installed. However, I'm mildly inclined to install the 
source files by default since they don't grow the installation size that much: 
on my platform the current default installation is 144 MiB, and the relevant 
source files are 8.6 MiB uncompressed, 2.5 MiB compressed (these counts include 
filesystem overhead).
> I asked what security problems could be caused by accessing a source tree

I'll reply separately about that.