Subject: [bug#37443] [PATCH] scripts: pull: Add options for generation management

From: Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 15:57:35 +0200

Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> OK.  A “guix profile” command has been proposed before.  I think it
> makes sense in terms of taxonomy, but I don’t find it pretty in terms of
> UI.

It's a bit long, but then I don't really install packages so often that
this would bother me. I waste much more time re-reading the man page
every time I use a guix subcommand I haven't used in a while.

> It’s a another instance where the categorization you propose makes sense
> to me, but as a command I’d have to type, it’s not something I like.

Same comment. I really like Guix, but that doesn't mean I spend much
time typing Guix commands. It's a rare event.

My priorities in command API design for Guix would be
 1. Clear: when I type a command, I want to be sure what exactly it does.
 2. Memorizable: minimize the need to re-read the documentation.
 3. Error tolerant: a one-letter typo or a forgotten argument shouldn't
    lead to some completely different action.

Typing efficiency doesn't even make it to the list.

> Naming is hard!

I have heard that before ;-)

Cheers,
  Konrad.