Subject: [bug#37443] [PATCH] scripts: pull: Add options for generation management

From: zimoun <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 14:23:51 +0200

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 at 13:57, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> Konrad Hinsen <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
> > Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:

> Also, now that we finally have “guix install” & co., which is really
> what users expect, I feel less of an incentive for a catch-all “guix
> profile” command.
>
> Maybe we need more of these aliases, though, like “guix show”.

"guix show" would be nice.
But I did not feel a lot of enthusiasm about it. ;-)
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guix-devel/2019-07/msg00264.html

Something nicer should be to have aliases defined by the user.

> >  - Everything that operates on "guix" (the software, including the
> >    package definitions) starts with "itself":
> >
> >      guix itself update  (today's "guix pull")
> >      guix itself roll-back
>
> It’s a another instance where the categorization you propose makes sense
> to me, but as a command I’d have to type, it’s not something I like.

Me neither. :-)

And "guix itself" fixes implicitly the profile to
~/.config/guix/current and maybe people are doing "non-conventional"
stuff as "guix pull -p ~/.guix-profile --list-generations".

"guix pull --list-generations" should be aliased to "guix log"
"guix pull --delete-generations" -> "guix log --delete-generations"
"guix pull --switch-generations" -> "guix log --switch-generations"
"guix pull --news" -> "guix log --news"

All the best,
simon