Subject: [bug#37443] [PATCH] scripts: pull: Add options for generation management

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2019 23:18:53 +0200

Hello zimoun!

zimoun <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Naive question: why not merge the two default profiles in only one
> default profile?
>
> `guix pull` uses the default ~/.config/guix/current
> `guix package` uses the default ~/.guix-profile
>
> Does it make sense to remove one of them?

Nope!  :-)

Technically, it could work of course, since both are just regular
profiles.

The problem is that rolling back your package set would also potentially
roll back the very tool you’re using to roll back.  There could be
problems if, say, the format of ~/.guix-profile/manifest changed, and
you end up with a ‘guix’ that cannot read it because it’s too old,
things like that.

More importantly, I think we really want the tool and the user’s package
set to evolve on different axes.  It’s important to be able to upgrade
or rollback one without touching the other.

Now, it’s true that having two different profiles appears to be hard to
grasp for newcomers, as Ricardo was saying just now on IRC.

HTH!

Ludo’.