Subject: bug#37436: 27.0.50; Function proposal doc-view-open-file

From: Jean Louis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 08:31:06 +0200

In my opinion there shall be function that opens files as supported by
doc-view, rather separate function and not just find-file.

Such function should especially support opening PDF, DJVU, and other doc
view files at specific page number. The function doc-view-goto-page
already exists, but what is missing is something like

(doc-view-open-file "my-pdf-file.pdf" page-number)

And additionally it would be useful to open PDF/DJVU files by query
search in the PDF file:

(doc-view-open-file "my-pdf-file.pdf" nil "Query search HERE")

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 5, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2019-09-07 built on protected.rcdrun.com
Repository revision: 40eb4c51a40a37c14e882e6db3f880ba4528c089
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11906000
System Description: Hyperbola GNU/Linux-libre

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...
kill-line: End of buffer
funcall-interactively: End of buffer [2 times]

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/package/text/emacs-2019-09-07 --with-modules
 --without-gpm --with-x-toolkit=lucid
 PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/home/data1/protected/GNUstep/Library/Libraries/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'

Configured features:
XAW3D XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND DBUS GSETTINGS GLIB NOTIFY
INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ M17N_FLT LIBOTF XFT ZLIB
TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS LUCID X11 XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS JSON PDUMPER
LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: de_DE.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: de_DE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort hashcash mail-extr emacsbug message rmc puny dired
dired-loaddefs format-spec rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec password-cache
epa derived epg epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs
text-property-search time-date subr-x seq byte-opt gv bytecomp
byte-compile cconv mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader cl-loaddefs cl-lib sendmail rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils tooltip eldoc electric
uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win
term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list replace newcomment text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode
prog-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow isearch timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core
term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese eucjp-ms cp51932
hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic
chinese composite charscript charprop case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook
help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote threads dbusbind inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting x-toolkit x multi-tty
make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 45601 7137)
 (symbols 48 6065 1)
 (strings 32 16273 2203)
 (string-bytes 1 520970)
 (vectors 16 9869)
 (vector-slots 8 127539 6408)
 (floats 8 22 19)
 (intervals 56 254 0)
 (buffers 992 13))

-- 
Thanks,
Jean Louis