Subject: bug#37424: guix pull fails with “no code for module (git object)”

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 12:35:06 +0200

Hi Guix,

on my i686 machine I get this error:

--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
rekado@elephly ~$ ~/.config/guix/current/guix pull --no-build-hook
bin/   etc/   lib/   share/ 
rekado@elephly ~$ ~/.config/guix/current/bin/guix pull --no-build-hook
Updating channel 'guix' from Git repository at 'https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git'...
Building from this channel:
  guix      https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/guix.git	518fd3b
Computing Guix derivation for 'i686-linux'...  Backtrace:
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   222:17 19 (map1 (((guix git)) ((guix build-system r) #:select ?) ?))
  2800:17 18 (resolve-interface (guix git) #:select _ #:hide _ # _ # ?)
In ice-9/threads.scm:
    390:8 17 (_ _)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  2726:13 16 (_)
In ice-9/threads.scm:
    390:8 15 (_ _)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
  2994:20 14 (_)
   2312:4 13 (save-module-excursion #<procedure 9cd70a8 at ice-9/boo?>)
  3014:26 12 (_)
In unknown file:
          11 (primitive-load-path "guix/git" #<procedure a05b770 at ?>)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   721:20 10 (primitive-eval (define-module (guix git) #:use-module ?))
In ice-9/psyntax.scm:
  1235:36  9 (expand-top-sequence ((define-module (guix git) # # ?)) ?)
  1182:24  8 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) ((top) #(# # ?)) ?)
   285:10  7 (parse _ (("placeholder" placeholder)) (()) _ c&e (eval) ?)
In ice-9/eval.scm:
   293:34  6 (_ #<module (#{ g318}#) a26b5f0>)
In ice-9/boot-9.scm:
   2874:4  5 (define-module* _ #:filename _ #:pure _ #:version _ # _ ?)
  2887:24  4 (_)
   222:29  3 (map1 (((git)) ((git object)) ((guix i18n)) ((guix ?)) ?))
   222:17  2 (map1 (((git object)) ((guix i18n)) ((guix base32)) # ?))
   2803:6  1 (resolve-interface _ #:select _ #:hide _ #:prefix _ # _ ?)
In unknown file:
           0 (scm-error misc-error #f "~A ~S" ("no code for modu?" ?) ?)

ERROR: In procedure scm-error:
no code for module (git object)
-guix pull: error: You found a bug: the program '/gnu/store/f3xc9qp45hma3ia2z36z50vd5lxx4mk8-compute-guix-derivation'
failed to compute the derivation for Guix (version: "518fd3b6592203df73fec347d30016d4260ee127"; system: "i686-linux";
host version: "aa986c9cd6cf5874f5a6b326484a9073977cc4bd"; pull-version: 1).
Please report it by email to <[email-masked]>.
--8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---

-- 
Ricardo