Subject: Re: bug#37420: [PATCH] Recommend against SHA-1 for security-related applications

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 11:17:44 +0200

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> > +These symbols corresponds to the following hashing algorithms:
> > +
> > +    md5    - MD5
> > +    sha1   - SHA-1
> > +    sha224 - SHA-2 / SHA-224
> > +    sha256 - SHA-2 / SHA-384
> > +    sha384 - SHA-2 / SHA-384
> > +    sha512 - SHA-2 / SHA-512
>
> I'm not sure these really clarify all that much?  But I don't object to
> it.

They would help people like me who don't use this stuff very often and
can't remember which one is SHA-1, SHA-2, SHA-3, etc.  Of course, one
could expect users to fire up a web browser and search the web for
details instead.  But as it stands, we don't document anywhere that
sha512 is indeed SHA-2 as far as I can tell.

> > --- a/test/lisp/emacs-lisp/package-resources/archive-contents
[...]
> Hm...  is this related?

No, please disregard that.  I fixed it but then attached the wrong
patch to the email.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas