Subject: bug#37415: Asserting failure setting frame parameters to non-fixnum values in early-init.el

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 22 Sep 2019 10:08:04 +0200

> Thanks, but I probably should have explain the nature of my confusion
 > better (and would have done that, should I know you will act upon it
 > so seriously).  Sorry about that.

I hope you now better understand why I didn't respond to Juanma's
report immediately.  There are too many layers at work here.

 > Here's what confused me in this problem:
 >
 >    . the FIXNUMP assertion is probably there for a reason; what is that
 >      reason?

Which assertion?  The one in XFIXNUM?

 >    . how come we don't hit this assertion when the same expression is
 >      in the init file, only in the early-init file?

I do hit it here.  Unless some sort of bug happens before.  For
example, when using (left . foo).

 >    . why doesn't the X build hit the same assertion in the same
 >      scenario?

The X build sets 'left' only in 'gui_figure_window_size' whereafter it
immediately sanitizes it into f->left_pos which is later on used by
XCreateWindow.

martin