Subject: Re: bug#37415: Asserting failure setting frame parameters to non-fixnum values in early-init.el

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2019 10:17:42 +0200

>> Wasn't setting 'default-frame-alist' (or 'initial-frame-alist') one of
 >> the major motivations for adding the early-init file feature?
 >
 > No.  the main motivation was to be able to set package.el related
 > variables.

In section 49.4.6 of the Emacs manual frames "loaded before the
package system and GUI is initialized, so in it you can customize
variables that affect frame appearance as well as the package
initialization process" come first ;-)

 >> IIRC it's used to suppress temporarily showing the initial frame at
 >> an unwanted position or with unwanted size.  So IMHO this should
 >> never fail.
 >
 > Feel free to fix it, if it's practical.  I chimed in after hearing
 > nothing from you for a few days ;-)

Initially, I couldn't reproduce it (and still can't on Debian although
setting it doesn't seem to have any effect there).  But even if we
cannot fix the behavior we have to avoid the crash.  After all, this
is the first release processing an early init file.

martin