Subject: bug#37414: 26.3; (emacs) `Contributing': no `etc/CONTRIBUTE'

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2020 05:16:09 -0700

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

>> These are binary zip files, not source tarballs.  You should look on
>> ftp.gnu.org instead.
>
> How about improving the manual to explain what it
> means by "the Emacs distribution", if that's not
> what users download to install Emacs?

On current master, this text says:

     If you would like to make more extensive contributions, see the
  ‘CONTRIBUTE’ file in the Emacs distribution for information on how to be
  an Emacs developer.

Perhaps we could just change "the Emacs distribution" to "the
development version of Emacs"?

> Or how about including CONTRIBUTE in the zip archive that users
> download to install Emacs?

The problem is that our conventions may change over time.  New
developers are better off looking for the latest version of the file.