Subject: [bug#37413] [PATCH 0/9] Channel news distribution mechanism

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 14:44:41 +0200

Hi Florian,

"pelzflorian (Florian Pelz)" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 11:49:50PM +0200, Julien Lepiller wrote:
>> Le Mon, 16 Sep 2019 23:25:55 +0200,
>> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> a écrit :
>> > I’m thinking we could have an alias with volunteer translators who
>> > would provide text fragments by email to the developer who wrote the
>> > news?  Does that sound reasonable?
>> > 
>> > Thanks,
>> > Ludo’.
>> 
>> As long as the volume is low, I think it's reasonable, but it should be
>> documented.

For Guix proper, I think the volume would be quite low (once per
month?).  Translators may have to react within a couple of days though,
basically while the change in question is under review.  It’s OK to
translate later, after the initial news has been pushed, but fewer
people will see it.

> Yes, I want to provide such a service, but package names and
> descriptions should be translated too.

<https://translationproject.org/domain/guix-packages.html> is about
translating packages and descriptions (but not package names), but I
don’t see how this relates to news entries.  What do you have in mind?

The reasons I think the TP is inadequate for news entries is that the TP
is geared towards translating releases of software packages, and those
tiny snippets could come anytime and there would be no PO file for them.

Thanks,
Ludo’.