Subject: [bug#37413] [PATCH 0/9] Channel news distribution mechanism

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 17:10:30 +0200

Hi,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

>> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:
>>
>>> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>
>>>> It’s a bit weird to refer to commits from within a file in the repo
>>>> because it almost forces you to push so that you know the commit ID
>>>> that your news entry should refer to.  News entries become obsolete
>>>> if you rebase, too.  I think it’s acceptable, though.
>>>
>>> Would tags be acceptable instead of commit IDs?  I think version tags
>>> would be easier to deal with than commit IDs and it wouldn’t require
>>> time travel as you can just make up a new version and refer to that in
>>> the news file.
>>
>> So you would add a Git tag like “news-xyz” on the commit of interest and
>> then refer to it in the news entry?
>
> No, I actually meant for releases.  For a channel it seems to me that a
> release would make sense whenever information must be displayed to the
> users (presumably to announce breaking changes).

The way I see it, we could use it in between release.  I’d have used it
to announce lzip support (and then explain how users can migrate, which
I think many haven’t done because they’re unaware), improvements to
‘guix pack’, the addition of ‘guix deploy’, things like that.

Does that make sense?

Authors of third-party channels may also want to use it anytime.

Thanks,
Ludo’.