Subject: [bug#37413] [PATCH 0/9] Channel news distribution mechanism

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 15:16:29 +0200

Hi Ludo,

> Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:
>
>> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>>
>>> It’s a bit weird to refer to commits from within a file in the repo
>>> because it almost forces you to push so that you know the commit ID
>>> that your news entry should refer to.  News entries become obsolete
>>> if you rebase, too.  I think it’s acceptable, though.
>>
>> Would tags be acceptable instead of commit IDs?  I think version tags
>> would be easier to deal with than commit IDs and it wouldn’t require
>> time travel as you can just make up a new version and refer to that in
>> the news file.
>
> So you would add a Git tag like “news-xyz” on the commit of interest and
> then refer to it in the news entry?

No, I actually meant for releases.  For a channel it seems to me that a
release would make sense whenever information must be displayed to the
users (presumably to announce breaking changes).

--
Ricardo