Subject: [bug#37413] [PATCH 0/9] Channel news distribution mechanism

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2019 14:59:46 +0200

Hello,

Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]> skribis:

> Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> It’s a bit weird to refer to commits from within a file in the repo
>> because it almost forces you to push so that you know the commit ID
>> that your news entry should refer to.  News entries become obsolete
>> if you rebase, too.  I think it’s acceptable, though.
>
> Would tags be acceptable instead of commit IDs?  I think version tags
> would be easier to deal with than commit IDs and it wouldn’t require
> time travel as you can just make up a new version and refer to that in
> the news file.

So you would add a Git tag like “news-xyz” on the commit of interest and
then refer to it in the news entry?

I guess that would work.  Compared to this patch set, we’d just need to
check whether the entry’s commit is a commit or a tag, and in the latter
case resolve it.  How does that sound?

I tend to use tags sparsely, almost exclusively for releases, so I would
not naturally propose to use them for this purpose, but maybe it’s not a
problem to have many tags in the repo after all?

Thanks,
Ludo’.