Subject: bug#374: Info header line does not respect mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 10:34:36 -0700

> > The point here is about users being _able_ to have the traditional
> > (pre-22)behavior, not about setting the traditional 
> > behavior as the default.
> 
> Wouldn't that need be much less if the links where underlined or only 
> underlined links where followed by mouse-1 (as I wrote in the 
> previous comment to your proposal)?

1. That is independent. You can make a separate bug or enhancement report, if
you like. That is not what this is about.

2. No. The need is to be able to click mouse-1 on a link, regardless of how it
is displayed, and not follow the link. That's what `mouse-1-follows-link' is
for: to be able to not have mouse-1 follow links.

I often want to just click somewhere in a buffer - including its text area,
mode-line, and header-line, just to select the buffer. Perhaps that is because I
use separate frames a lot. Users are various.

The same principle applies to links in the header-line and mode-line that
applies to links elsewhere. Just as I want to be able to click anywhere in Dired
to select the buffer, so I want to be able to click anywhere in Info to select
the buffer.

It has nothing to do with link appearance. (It would not help to underline links
in Dired.) Quite the contrary: I don't want to have to look carefully to see if
I'm clicking on a link, just to select a buffer. I don't want to check whether
text is underlined or whatever.