Subject: bug#374: Info header line does not respect mouse-1-click-follows-link

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 01:08:30 -0700

> tag 374 +moreinfo
> thanks
> 
> > All Info links respect mouse-1-click-follows-link, except 
> > those in the header line. 
> 
> What does this mean, exactly?

It means that clicks in the header line links should do what clicks on the
non-header line links do: they too should respect the variable's value.

> They do react to a mouse-1 click.
> So do you mean that they should not react to a mouse-1 click if
> mouse-1-click-follows-link is nil?

Yes, of course. That's what the variable is for: to turn off link sensitivity to
mouse-1 clicks. Otherwise, the default behavior would be the only behavior, and
there would be no option.

Well, strictly speaking, an option might remain, as a numerical value, but it
would be called something like `mouse-click-link-delay', and the doc string
would not say "Non-nil means _that_ clicking mouse-1 on a link follows the
link."

The option is a boolean flag nil/non-nil, whose non-nil value has the secondary
effect of specifying a click delay, beyond which the link is not followed.

To be more clear, the doc string should perhaps explicitly state that nil means
the same as non-nil plus waiting the full delay: "the normal Mouse-1 action
(typically set point)."

> If so, what other binding would you expect mouse-1 to trigger when
> mouse-1-click-follows-link is nil?

Whatever mouse-1 does on non-links, which is also whatever mouse-1 does
elsewhere (e.g. non-header lines) when the variable is nil. In most cases, it is
what `mouse-set-point' does.