Subject: bug#37397: 26.2; less-than-character cuts off end of pre tag in eww

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2019 14:12:20 +0200

>>>>> On Fri, 13 Sep 2019 13:25:50 +0200, Kevin Brubeck Unhammer <[email-masked]> said:

    Kevin> Robert Pluim <[email-masked]> čálii:
    >> The source html is incorrect: it should have written those '<' as
    >> '&lt;'. <pre> does not mean 'anything goes'.

    Kevin> It does show up "correctly" in Firefox and Chromium though. With a
    Kevin> string such as "<)" (or perhaps "<" followed by anything other than
    Kevin> [a-zA-Z/]), it's obviously not a tag of any sort, so why not just print
    Kevin> it literally? I've noticed the problem on other pages as well – and even
    Kevin> MDC's example on <pre> usage has literal angle brackets:
    Kevin> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/HTML/Element/pre#Example_2
    Kevin> though eww shows those just fine.

It does, but those angle brackets are balanced, which is not the case
for your example.

    Kevin> Although looking at shr, it seems it calls to libxml-parse-html-region,
    Kevin> so I suppose it's not something easily fixed on the Emacs side anyway.

Not really. Perhaps you could ask the libxml developers what they
think.

Robert