Subject: Re: bug#37390: 26.3; ediff-buffers appears to have a focus issue

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Sep 2019 10:55:57 +0200

> I went back to 26.2 and lo and behold, I have a focus issue. Musts be some
 > part of the env in my rebuilt VM. Sigh. Feel free to close this
 > issue.

We should rather try to find out about this issue as much as we can.
It would be great if we could nail it down to some specific change in
your VM.  I suppose some window managers do not play nicely with
Emacs' attempts to (re-)direct focus from and to supporting frames
like the one used by ediff.

 > If
 > anyone has any suggestions as to what to look for, I would be most
 > appreciative.

Please tell us the following first:

- Which window manager do you use?

- Are you sure you see the same problem in an emacs -Q session?

- Do you see the issue in other aspects of working with Emacs?

- Do you see similar problems when invoking Emacs with

   --eval "(setq default-frame-alist (quote ((minibuffer . nil))))"

   and running it for a few standard tasks?

Next we should try to describe your bug in more detail than you
provided so far:

 > In emacs diff the two buffers with M-x ediff-buffers
 > In the ediff command window
 > n
 > n
 > now change focus to any other window on your desktop OR pick diff 'a' or
 > 'b' to apply.

How exactly do you change focus?  Also, I don't yet understand what
"pick diff 'a' or 'b' to apply" means.

 > now change focus back to the ediff window
 > n
 > focus should have jumped out of the ediff command window to one of the
 > diffed buffers.

When you now shift focus to the ediff command window and type "n" does
it shift focus again?  Does it shift focus for "p" too?  Is there an
ediff command where it does not shift focus?  Does setting
'ediff-grab-mouse' to another value change anything?

Thanks, martin