Subject: bug#37387: closed (Re: bug#37387: reconfigure does not recreate ~/.guix-profile)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 09:06:02 +0000

Your bug report

#37387: reconfigure does not recreate ~/.guix-profile

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37387: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37387
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#37387: reconfigure does not recreate ~/.guix-profile
From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
To: Joshua Branson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2019 11:05:10 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi Joshua,

> ;tldr guix system reconfigure does not create a ~/.guix-profile

This is not a bug.

“guix system reconfigure” will never create .guix-profile.  That’s not
what it’s supposed to do.

~/.guix-profile is created when a profile is generated and installed,
i.e. when a user installs their first package.

-- 
Ricardo

Subject: reconfigure does not recreate ~/.guix-profile
From: Joshua Branson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 19:43:12 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hey guix,

;tldr guix system reconfigure does not create a ~/.guix-profile, if
 the file was deleted, nor does it change the symlink if the username
 changed.

This seems like 2 tiny bugs.  I recently installed guix on my Thinkpad
T400.  (Thanks by the way!  Sway works wonderfully!)  When I first
created my user my user line looked like

#+BEGIN_SRC scheme
         (user-account
          (name "Joshua Branson")
          (comment "Joshua Branson")
          (group "users")
          (home-directory "/home/joshua")
          (supplementary-groups
           '("wheel" "netdev" "audio" "video")))
#+END_SRC scheme

Later I changed the user name to '(name "joshua")' and reconfigured.
Guix was smart enough to create a new profile for me, but
.guix-profile still pointed to user account "Joshua Branson" not
"joshua".

$ cd ~/; ls -lha .guix-profile
.guix-profile -> /var/guix/profiles/per-user/Joshua Branson/guix-profile

So I removed .guix-profile and reconfigured.

$ rm ~/.guix-profile

# sudo guix system reconfigure sway.scm

I thought that guix is declarative, so it will recreate .guix-profile,
but it did not.

Thanks,

Joshua