Subject: Re: bug#37380: gdm doesn't load pam-limits

From: Ricardo Wurmus <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 21:48:03 +0200

Hi Jesse,

> I have been trying to set up ardour, but jackd doesn't start in real-
> time mode. I made an os definition that replicates this issue when I
> use a VM[0].
> [0] https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-guix/2019-09/msg00065.html
> I asked the gnome and gdm IRC and found out gdm loads the gdm-password
> pam config, which seems untouched by pam-limits-service. My
> /etc/pam.d/gdm-password (which should be the default) is attached.

I can reproduce this.

(I’m sorry for accidentally misleading you earlier.  Turns out I used
JACK a little longer ago than I initially realized.)

I think it should be pretty easy to fix this:

1) we should generate a single file that is used for generic session
settings.

2) all login programs (including gdm) should include that file in their
PAM settings.

3) the pam-limits-service should extend that single file instead of
attempting to update a bunch of PAM files for a selected list of
programs.

--
Ricardo