Subject: [bug#37364] [PATCH 1/1] gnu: Add z for zsh

From: Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2019 14:23:17 +0200

Hello Collin,

"Collin J. Doering" <[email-masked]> skribis:

> * gnu/packages/shellutils.scm (z): New variable.
>
> Signed-off-by: Collin J. Doering <[email-masked]>

[...]

> +(define-public z
> +  (package
> +    (name "z")

So far there’s only one package with a one-letter name.  I’d be tempted
to rename “z” to “sh-z” (because it works with both Zsh and Bash) or
something similar, WDYT?

> +               (mkdir-p man-path)
> +               (invoke "gzip" "z.1")
> +               (copy-file "z.1.gz" (string-append man-path "/z.1.gz"))

You can omit the “gzip” invocation because the ‘compress-documentation’
phase takes care of that, and passes the ‘-n’ flag, which is important
for bitwise reproducibility.

Also, you can remove the ‘mkdir-p’ call and replace the ‘copy-file’ call
with:

  (install-file "z.1" man)

Last: please remove ‘-path’ from variable names—in GNU the convention is
touse the term “path” only for search paths ($PATH, etc.)

> +    (synopsis "Jump about directories")
> +    (description
> +     "Tracks your most used directories, based on freecency.  After a short
> +learning phase, z will take you to the most frecent directory that matches
> +ALL of the regexes given on the command line in order.")

It’s suggest writing “``frecency''” (with quotes) to make it clear that
it’s not a typo.  :-)

Could you send an updated patch?

Thanks,
Ludo’.