Subject: bug#3736: closed (Re: bug#3736: 23.1.50; Please use null-device instead of /dev/null)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 15:29:02 +0000

Your bug report

#3736: 23.1.50; Please use null-device instead of /dev/null

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
3736: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=3736
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#3736: 23.1.50; Please use null-device instead of /dev/null
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], Sven Joachim <[email-masked]>, Jason Rumney <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2020 16:28:11 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stefan,

> I've added the functions null-device and path-separator, which return
> the connection-local values of the respective variables. As first shot,
> I've changed grep.el using this. Let's see whether there's
> feedback. However, people will see a difference only if they work on a
> local w32 system, and apply Emacs's grep command on a remote machine --
> a constellation I cannot test myself.
>
> I'll continue to adapt other Emacs Lisp files.

I have applied all respective changes in the master branch which look
obvious to me. There are still ~40 occurences of /dev/null in the lisp
directory, but most of them are comments. So I'll close this bug.

If people are interested in fixing the few other places, they could do
now by using the null-device variable or function. In case they don't
know what's better, a new bug report for the given case would do,
instead of keeping *this* bug report open forever.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 23.1.50; Please use null-device instead of /dev/null
From: Lennart Borgman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 22:22:36 +0200

There are nearly a hundred places in Emacs lisp sources where
/dev/null is used instead of null-device. Please convert those to use
null-device so that it gets system-independent. (I wonder what to do
with those in Tramp.)

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2009-06-30