Subject: Re: bug#3736: 23.1.50; Please use null-device instead of /dev/null

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2020 18:31:20 -0800

Michael Albinus <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jason Rumney <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Probably the best solution is for tramp to implement a general
>> server-local-variable mechanism, as there are probably other variables
>> that need different values for different servers too.  The user could
>> then configure a variable (such as tramp-server-local-variable-alist)
>> to define any such variables that they need to, which would then be
>> let bound as appropriate in tramp functions.
>
> Nice idea. Tramp does it already in some cases (for example for
> environment variables of the remote host), but your proposal is more
> general.
>
> Noted.

(That was 12 years ago.)

Now that we have this concept of "connection local variables", does that
satisfy the requirement to be able to specify null-device for remote
hosts?