Subject: Re: bug#37355: 26.1; CTL rendering for some indic characters fails

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 19:06:22 +0300

> From: Joshua Immanuel <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 14:40:17 +0530
> 
> However, this problem is not present in the latest HEAD. So, doing a
> "git bisect" on the repository, I found that the following commit is
> the one which actually fixed the problem.
> 
> "64767008f70af88d193d36eb6d2c27e4bc95ea8e Support
> font driver supersession"
> 
> Is this fix relevant to emacs-26. Can this be backported to fix this
> issue?

You can try backporting it, although I don't expect it to be easy,
because that commit was done after adding HarfBuzz support, which
required quite a few changes in font backend machinery all over.

We don't expect to make any further releases from the emacs-26 branch,
so backporting those changes would be pointless.

May I suggest that you continue using Emacs 27?  We added HarfBuzz
support because we believe it is developed much more actively that
m17n-db, and thus will generally produce better results in scripts
that require complex shaping.