Subject: 27.0.50; Startup: auto-save-list folder created in current directory

From: Bastian Beischer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 12:02:30 +0200

I sometimes see "auto-save-list" folders created in the current
directory when using emacs to edit files. I think auto-save-list should
be under ~/.emacs.d (or ~/.config/emacs).

Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the bug at will, so I don't have a
recipe (at least not yet - I will try to obtain one and post it). It is
just that after using emacs for a while I find these folders littered
around my filesystem, in the directories in which I used emacs to edit
files.

I am also not sure whether it is enough to use "emacs -Q" to produce the
bug, but is definitely new behavior that didn't exist a few weeks ago (I
build from the master branch regularly). I believe the bug could be due
to the recent changes to emacs startup (regarding ~/.emacs.d and
~/.config/emacs)

In GNU Emacs 27.0.50 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.10)
 of 2019-09-07 built on bastian-desktop
Repository revision: f42509955901bbc81284b5141cf272a1f6c6ad4c
Repository branch: master
Windowing system distributor 'The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.12005000
System Description: Arch Linux

Recent messages:
Waiting for git... [2 times]
Loading buff-menu...done
Loading /home/beischer/.emacs.d/elpa/realgud-20190724.2001/realgud/common/custom...done
Loading /home/beischer/.emacs.d/elpa/realgud-20190724.2001/realgud/lang/java...done
[yas] Prepared just-in-time loading of snippets successfully.
Turning on magit-auto-revert-mode...done
Starting Emacs daemon.
Package cl is deprecated
When done with this frame, type C-x 5 0
Error during redisplay: (eval (window-numbering-get-number-string)) signaled (wrong-type-argument hash-table-p nil)

Configured using:
 'configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --mandir=/usr/share/man --with-gameuser=:games
 --with-sound=alsa --with-modules --without-gconf --without-gsettings
 --enable-link-time-optimization --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --without-xaw3d
 --without-m17n-flt --without-compress-install 'CFLAGS=-march=native -O2
 -pipe -fno-plt -flto=jobserver -fuse-linker-plugin -flto=jobserver
 -fuse-linker-plugin -fuse-ld=gold' CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro,-z,now'

Configured features:
XPM JPEG TIFF GIF PNG RSVG SOUND GPM DBUS GLIB NOTIFY INOTIFY ACL GNUTLS
LIBXML2 FREETYPE HARFBUZZ LIBOTF XFT ZLIB TOOLKIT_SCROLL_BARS GTK3 X11
XDBE XIM MODULES THREADS LIBSYSTEMD JSON PDUMPER LCMS2 GMP

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  whitespace-mode: t
  subword-mode: t
  helm-fuzzier-mode: t
  helm-flx-mode: t
  projectile-mode: t
  yas-global-mode: t
  yas-minor-mode: t
  window-numbering-mode: t
  company-mode: t
  global-magit-file-mode: t
  magit-auto-revert-mode: t
  global-git-commit-mode: t
  async-bytecomp-package-mode: t
  flx-ido-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-hi-lock-mode: t
  hi-lock-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  prettify-symbols-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  hs-minor-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
/home/beischer/.emacs.d/elpa/cmake-mode-20190710.1319/cmake-mode hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/cmake-mode
~/.emacs.d/lisp/buff-menu+ hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/various/buff-menu+
~/.emacs.d/lisp/my-term hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/various/my-term
~/.emacs.d/lisp/buff-menu hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/various/buff-menu
~/.emacs.d/lisp/qt-pro hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/various/qt-pro
~/.emacs.d/lisp/buff-menu hides /usr/share/emacs/27.0.50/lisp/buff-menu

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug sendmail ido-completing-read+ memoize
cus-edit minibuf-eldef pp whitespace cap-words superword subword
company-oddmuse company-keywords company-etags company-gtags
company-dabbrev-code company-dabbrev company-files company-capf
company-cmake company-xcode company-clang company-semantic company-eclim
company-template company-bbdb company-edbi edbi sql view company-jedi
jedi-core python-environment epc ctable concurrent deferred ccls
ccls-member-hierarchy ccls-inheritance-hierarchy ccls-call-hierarchy
ccls-tree ccls-code-lens ccls-semantic-highlight ccls-common company-lsp
lsp-ui lsp-ui-flycheck lsp-ui-doc goto-addr lsp-ui-imenu lsp-ui-peek
lsp-ui-sideline flycheck lsp lsp-mode ewoc markdown-mode tree-widget
wid-edit spinner network-stream nsm inline ht em-glob dash-functional
bindat cmake-project helm-fuzzier helm helm-source eieio-compat
helm-multi-match helm-lib helm-flx tempo url url-proxy url-privacy
url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util
mailcap xml-parse doxymacs tramp-cache projectile ibuf-ext ibuffer
ibuffer-loaddefs dropdown-list yasnippet-snippets yasnippet my-term term
disp-table ehelp f s etags-table etags fileloop xref project cmake-mode
rx qt-pro pastebin window-numbering ams-meeting calc-mouse calc-yank
calc-ext calc calc-loaddefs calc-macs realgud realgud-zshdb
realgud:zshdb-track-mode realgud:zshdb-core realgud:zshdb-init
realgud-trepan3k realgud:trepan3k-track-mode realgud:trepan3k-core
realgud:trepan3k-init realgud-trepan2 realgud:trepan2-track-mode
realgud:trepan2-core realgud:trepan2-init realgud-trepanpl
realgud:trepanpl-track-mode realgud:trepanpl-core realgud:trepanpl-init
realgud-trepanjs realgud:trepanjs-track-mode realgud:trepanjs-core
realgud:trepanjs-init realgud-lang-js realgud-trepan
realgud:trepan-track-mode realgud:trepan-core realgud:trepan-init
realgud-remake realgud:remake-track-mode realgud:remake-core
realgud:remake-init realgud-rdebug realgud-rdebug-track-mode
realgud-rdebug-core realgud-rdebug-init realgud-lang-ruby realgud-perldb
realgud:perldb-track-mode realgud:perldb-core realgud:perldb-init
realgud-lang-perl realgud-pdb realgud:pdb-track-mode realgud:pdb-core
realgud:pdb-init realgud-lang-python python tramp-sh realgud-kshdb
realgud:kshdb-track-mode realgud:kshdb-core realgud:kshdb-init
realgud-gub realgud:gub-track-mode realgud:gub-core realgud:gub-init
realgud-gdb realgud:gdb-track-mode realgud:gdb-init realgud:gdb-core
realgud-bashdb realgud:bashdb-track-mode realgud:bashdb-core
realgud:bashdb-init realgud-lang-posix-shell realgud:run
realgud-breakpoint-mode realgud-backtrack-mode realgud-track-mode
realgud-backtrace-mode realgud-attach realgud-lang-java realgud-track
realgud-shortkey realgud-menu realgud-eval realgud-cmds realgud-send
realgud-window realgud-utils eshell realgud-init realgud-file
realgud-core realgud-reset realgud-buffer-helper
realgud-buffer-breakpoint realgud-buffer-backtrace
realgud-buffer-command realgud-buffer-info realgud-lochist org-element
avl-tree generator org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
ob-tangle org-src ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-keys ob-exp ob-comint
ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs find-func cal-menu
calendar cal-loaddefs realgud-bp realgud-bp-image-data realgud-lang
esh-mode esh-cmd esh-ext esh-opt esh-proc esh-io esh-arg esh-module
esh-groups esh-util realgud-loc realgud-buffer-source realgud-key key
realgud-follow realgud-fringe realgud-helper loc-changes realgud-regexp
realgud-custom load-relative ivy delsel colir color ivy-overlay company
hide-lines buff-menu+ pcase magit-topgit magit-submodule magit-obsolete
magit-popup magit-blame magit-stash magit-reflog magit-bisect magit-push
magit-pull magit-fetch magit-clone magit-remote magit-commit
magit-sequence magit-notes magit-worktree magit-tag magit-merge
magit-branch magit-reset magit-files magit-refs magit-status magit
magit-repos magit-apply magit-wip magit-log which-func imenu magit-diff
smerge-mode diff diff-mode magit-core magit-autorevert autorevert
filenotify magit-margin magit-transient magit-process magit-mode
transient git-commit magit-git magit-section magit-utils crm log-edit
easy-mmode message rmc puny rfc822 mml mml-sec epa derived epg
epg-config gnus-util rmail rmail-loaddefs text-property-search mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 mm-util
ietf-drums mail-prsvr mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
pcvs-util add-log with-editor cl-extra help-mode async-bytecomp async
server dash cl hideshow flx-ido advice flx ido dired-x dired
dired-loaddefs cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs flymake-proc flymake warnings
thingatpt vc-cvs finder-inf edmacro kmacro emacs-x-theme tramp
tramp-loaddefs trampver tramp-integration files-x tramp-compat shell
pcomplete parse-time iso8601 time-date ls-lisp format-spec paren grep
compile comint ansi-color ring linum hi-lock cus-start cus-load tex-site
info package easymenu browse-url url-handlers url-parse auth-source
cl-seq eieio eieio-core cl-macs eieio-loaddefs password-cache json
subr-x map url-vars seq byte-opt gv bytecomp byte-compile cconv
cl-loaddefs cl-lib tooltip eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel term/x-win x-win term/common-win x-dnd tool-bar
dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list replace newcomment
text-mode elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow isearch timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core term/tty-colors frame cl-generic cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese eucjp-ms cp51932 hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european
ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese composite charscript charprop
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev obarray minibuffer
cl-preloaded nadvice loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote threads dbusbind
inotify lcms2 dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk
x-toolkit x multi-tty make-network-process emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 526149 26475)
 (symbols 48 46374 1)
 (strings 32 180957 14467)
 (string-bytes 1 5635033)
 (vectors 16 67739)
 (vector-slots 8 931111 15860)
 (floats 8 406 23)
 (intervals 56 508 0)
 (buffers 992 12))