Subject: bug#37354: 27.0.50; Startup: auto-save-list folder created in current directory

From: Robert Pluim <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2019 15:36:27 +0200

>>>>> On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 12:02:30 +0200, Bastian Beischer <[email-masked]> said:

    Bastian> I sometimes see "auto-save-list" folders created in the current
    Bastian> directory when using emacs to edit files. I think auto-save-list should
    Bastian> be under ~/.emacs.d (or ~/.config/emacs).

    Bastian> Unfortunately I cannot reproduce the bug at will, so I don't have a
    Bastian> recipe (at least not yet - I will try to obtain one and post it). It is
    Bastian> just that after using emacs for a while I find these folders littered
    Bastian> around my filesystem, in the directories in which I used emacs to edit
    Bastian> files.

    Bastian> I am also not sure whether it is enough to use "emacs -Q" to produce the
    Bastian> bug, but is definitely new behavior that didn't exist a few weeks ago (I
    Bastian> build from the master branch regularly). I believe the bug could be due
    Bastian> to the recent changes to emacs startup (regarding ~/.emacs.d and
    Bastian> ~/.config/emacs)

Youʼre not alone, I have these too. The earliest one I have is from
September 5th at 09:01 GMT+2. Also

    auto-save-list-file-prefix is a variable defined in `startup.el'.
    Its value is "auto-save-list/.saves-"
    Original value was 
    "~/.emacs.d/auto-save-list/.saves-"

I donʼt have anything touching that variable in my init files, so
presumably something in startup.el is changing it.

Robert