Subject: bug#37347: closed ('guix environment' fails after trying to follow the steps from "Running Guix Before It Is Installed" page)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 20:17:04 +0000

Your bug report

#37347: 'guix environment' fails after trying to follow the steps from "Running Guix Before It Is Installed" page

which was filed against the guix package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
37347: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=37347
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: 'guix environment' fails after trying to follow the steps from "Running Guix Before It Is Installed" page
From: Gábor Boskovits <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2019 20:16:26 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The submitter solved the problem, and requested to close. Closing.

-- 
OpenPGP Key Fingerprint: 7988:3B9F:7D6A:4DBF:3719:0367:2506:A96C:CF63:0B21

Subject: 'guix environment' fails after trying to follow the steps from "Running Guix Before It Is Installed" page
From: Jan <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2019 02:49:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi, I'm a new Guix user and I wanted to hack on Guix and update a
package, I hadn't known exactly how to do this, so I started following
instructions from
https://guix.gnu.org/manual/en/html_node/Running-Guix-Before-It-Is-Installed.html#Running-Guix-Before-It-Is-Installed
and
https://guix.gnu.org/blog/2018/a-packaging-tutorial-for-guix/

The situation started to be interesting, when the tutorial told me to
run "cd $GUIX_CHECKOUT" and "./pre-inst-env guix package
--list-available=ruby"
I was confused, because I couldn't find any "./pre-inst-env" file, so I
used 'find' to search for it and there were one file with a similar name
in $GUIX_CHECKOUT/build-aux - ./pre-inst-env.in (as I'm composing this
email now I see that's stupid, but I tried using this file, as I don't
know what I was doing (still don't know))
So I started running the following stupid commands:

----------------
user@machine ~/Prog/repo/guix [env]$ sudo -E ./pre-inst-env.in
guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild

sudo: /gnu/store/z26h622slm8p61myhk45v3jjg8p7qm8z-profile/bin/sudo must
be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set 

user@machine ~/Prog/repo/guix [env]$ ./pre-inst-env.in
bash: ./pre-inst-env.in: No such file or directory 
user@machine ~/Prog/repo/guix [env]$ cd build-aux/ 
user@machine ~/Prog/repo/guix/build-aux [env]$ sudo
-E ./pre-inst-env.in guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild
sudo: /gnu/store/z26h622slm8p61myhk45v3jjg8p7qm8z-profile/bin/sudo must
be owned by uid 0 and have the setuid bit set 
user@machine ~/Prog/repo/guix/build-aux [env]$ exit
---------------

And then:

------------------
user@machine ~/Prog/repo/guix/build-aux$ chmod +x ./pre-inst-env.in 
user@machine ~/Prog/repo/guix/build-aux$ sudo -E ./pre-inst-env.in
guix-daemon --build-users-group=guixbuild Password: 
./pre-inst-env.in: line 33: cd: @abs_top_srcdir@:
there is no such file or directory 
./pre-inst-env.in: line 34: cd:
@abs_top_builddir@: there is no such file or directory
--------------------

And after that I couldn't run "guix
environment" anymore, it threw an error:

guix environment: error: failed to connect to
`/var/guix/daemon-socket/socket': Connection refused

Restarting the computer helps, but doing the same stuff breaks it
again, so guess it's reproducible.

After doing it I ran the "history" command so you can know what I did
exactly (some commands were unfortunately run in an environment and I
can't provide them), here it is:

  371  git clone --recurse-submodules
  git://git.savannah.gnu.org/guix.git 
  372  guix environment guix --pure
  373  sudo -E
  374  sudo --help
  375  guix environment guix --pure
  376  guix environment guix --pure --ad-hoc sudo 
  377  ls
  378  cd guix/
  379  ls
  380  cd build-aux/
  381  ls
  382  .
  383  guix environment guix --pure
  384  chmod +x ./pre-inst-env.in 
  385  sudo -E ./pre-inst-env.in guix-daemon
  --build-users-group=guixbuild 
  386  ls
  387  cd ..
  388  ./configure 
  389  guix environment guix --pure
  390  history

As stupid and complicated as it is, something is definitely broken
here.

Sincerely,
Jan Wielkiewicz